Thursday, March 21, 2013

first week back.


(just some instagrams from the week. i'm ridiculous.)
This week has been my first week to REALLY be back at school since getting out of the hospital. Sure, I went back the Friday before spring break, but that didn't really count.

I'm not going to lie and say it was an easy week, but I can say that it was a week full of blessings. 

I've started a new routine of waking up between 5 and 5:30. If you had told me to wake up that early a year ago, I would have laughed in your face. But I really enjoy the quiet time in the morning where I am the only one in the house awake. Plus, it gives me time to do any last minute work or studying I may need to do before my 8 AM class. AND it helps me get in the groove for student teaching next semester....eeek!

Monday, I had my last group teaching day in the Madison schools. My group taught three different science lessons to four groups of fifth graders over the semester, and it has been so much fun. I always thought I wanted to work with the first or second grade age group, but teaching older kids has allowed me to see that I think I will be happy no matter where God places me in my career. I was really sad to leave the science lab for the  last time - those kids have a bright future!

I spent a lot of time finalizing a unit lesson plan that was due Wednesday. I stayed up the latest I have all semester (1:30!) to finish it. I can't believe I used to stay up until 3 or 4 AM - or even pull all nighters - and be good to go the next day. When did I get so old? I need two or three cups of coffee (at least!) to make it through the day now.

This was also the week we were supposed to find out our placements for the rest of professional block. The way our class works is this - the first half is lecture, the second half is field experience. So, starting in April, we will be teaching twenty lesson plans to a classroom we have been assigned to in Jackson. I was so nervous to find out my placement and who my supervising professor would be! I found out my school and supervisor Wednesday, and the nerves just kept flowing. I nervously facebook messaged a girl from my roommate's graduating class who I knew was assigned to the same school and professor when she went through block, and she sent me back nothing but encouraging words. Today, I found out the cooperating teacher and grade I'd be teaching, and funnily enough, I ended up with the same teacher she had! God knew what He was doing when he placed it on my heart to send her a message. I now have a resource and someone to talk to when things get tough (or go great!) in that classroom! She had nothing but wonderful things to say, and I can't wait to start working with these fifth graders! I meet them on Tuesday, and I am SO excited!

God has just been so diligent in telling me not to worry. I can look so calm and collected on the outside, but inside my heart is always a nervous wreck. I've suffered panic attacks and sleep paralysis because of nerves before, and it's one of the very worst feelings in the world. My quiet times have been so full and rich with God's reassurance that the here and now is temporary, but His provision is eternal. A little camp song has been going through my mind constantly that we used to sing at Redcloud - "Cast your burdens on Jesus 'cause He cares for YOU!" Amen and hallelujah!

Other than that, I have been working on paperwork for student teaching, going to class, eating lots of veggies, and going to bed ridiculously early (between 8:30 - 10, crazy!) I plan on taking it easy this weekend, sleeping in a little, and hearing my baby brother sing on Sunday night!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments! Feel free to leave a link to your blog - I love reading about other people's blogs just as much as I love writing mine!